Friday, July 17, 2009

Couch Odyssey - Back home

The last 55 days I have spent back in Europe, back at home in Berlin. 55 intense days, 55 incredible days. It felt good being back home after having been away for about ten months, ten months which, in some way, changed my life completely. I thought I would come back to Berlin, feeling alone and without a real home. But I realized that I have amazing friends who turned my days in transit into so much fun and who gave me a true feeling of home during my couch odyssey. And I am very, very grateful for that! Thank you so much!
With the following pictures, I would like to share with you some of these nice moments I had in the past days and weeks.

After a short first stopover in Berlin I had to go to Bonn. The DAAD had invited all language assistance for a workshop to prepare everyone for their new job. From Bonn, where I stayed with Anna (unfortunately there are no pictures of us, sitting on the roof terrace talking ... ), I went on to Cologne to visit Martin. As tradition demands, Martin and I once again discovered Cologne per pedes. This time we dared reaching for the beyond of the River Rhine and spent a sunny afternoon on the "Pollerwiesen", where we shared private moments with Alberta, who receives a lover (Birgit Vanderbeke "Alberta empfängt einen Liebhaber").




This is the site of the tragedy. Houses, amongst them the "Stadtarchiv" collapsed due to the improper construction of the underground line.

The Dome

Back in Berlin, I indulged into culture. Thanks to Rob's organisational skills and patience while queuing up for tickets, I could go to the German Opera twice (to see Puccini's "Tosca" and Bizet's "Carmen") and also to the German Theatre (to see Goethe's "Faust").



Mauerpark became one of my favourite places to be on a Sunday. But as you can see, I wasn't the only one feeling that way. Open-air karaoke seems to be Berlin's favourite Sunday afternoon activity. I myself didn't sing, but I enjoyed shopping at the flee market next to Mauerpark and listening to the (professional) musicians playing in the park.


And then, our extended family got a new member! On June 19th, Tony was born, my cousins first child and the first newborn in that generation.


This was one of my odyssey stops - Kreuzberg, where Rob offered me a roof over my head.



After having visited the family's youngest member, I went to the Baltic Sea with Frank. It was wonderful! The temperature of the water was only 18 degrees Celsius, but I managed to get in. And once in, I could not get enough.


On the beach at Rerik.


Collecting stones.


Chilly, ey?


Nay, not that bad!


Marina in Rerik


In Kühlungsborn.


in between beaches - Mecklenburg-Vorpommern


Heiligendamm (where the G8 summit took place)


The final stop on my couch odyssey was Barcelona. Finally, temperatures I like, again the sea and two wonderful people introducing me to the city.


Traces of Gaudi


A slightly different merchandizing method...


a beach outside Barcelona (Garraf)



we were trying hard to get back to the city. after 30 minutes of waiting, a train finally stopped.

No comments: